It's not the load that breaks you down; it's the way you carry it." -Lena Horne

Friday, September 3, 2010

I understand Lauren Hill and have dealt with this for 19 years!

In 2000, she dropped out of the public eye. She described this period of her life to Essence: "People need to understand that the Lauryn Hill they were exposed to in the beginning was all that was allowed in that arena at that time… I had to step away when I realized that for the sake of the machine, I was being way too compromised. I felt uncomfortable about having to smile in someone's face when I really didn't like them or even know them well enough to like them."[4]

She also spoke about her emotional crisis, saying, "For two or three years I was away from all social interaction. It was a very introspective time because I had to confront my fears and master every demonic thought about inferiority, about insecurity or the fear of being black, young and gifted in this western culture."[4] She went on to say that she had to fight to retain her identity, and was forced "to deal with folks who weren't happy about that."[4]